Pontiac, Michigan -- Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson distributed $26,000 among representatives of 17 southeast Michigan charities today during a ceremony in the lobby of the Executive Office Building. The funds were raised by county employees over the course of 2010 from Casual Day donations.
"Oakland County employees are among the most generous I have encountered in my career," said Patterson. "Casual Day is one of many ways our employees give back throughout the year."
Casual Day recipients for 2010 are:
- American Diabetes Association in Bingham Farms, Michigan
- Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center in Birmingham, Michigan
- Birmingham Bloomfield Symphony Orchestra in Birmingham, Michigan
- Child Abuse and Neglect Council (CARE House) in Pontiac, Michigan
- Community Sharing in Highland, Michigan
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Metropolitan Detroit-NW Ohio Chapter in Troy, Michigan
- Donate Life Coalition of Michigan in Commerce, Michigan
- Give-A-Christmas Year Round in Royal Oak, Michigan
- Huron Valley Council for the Arts in Highland, Michigan
- National Kidney Foundation PKD Foundation in Detroit, Michigan
- Paint Creek Center for the Arts in Rochester, Michigan
- POH Children’s Health Services in Pontiac, Michigan
- Rainbow Connection in Rochester, Michigan
- SandCastles Grief Support Program in Detroit, Michigan
- Toys for Tots in Waterford, Michigan
- William E. Scripps Estate/Guest House, Inc. in Lake Orion, Michigan
- Winning Futures in Warren, Michigan
Oakland County employees raised an additional $7,100 through special Casual Days when a specific recipient is designated. For instance, Oakland County employees wore pink for a day for breast cancer awareness and research. Those funds supported the Passionately Pink for a Cure program during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October.
"Since Casual Day's inception 18 years ago, Oakland County employees have donated more than a half million dollars, touching the lives of thousands of people," said Patterson.
For media inquiries only, contact Bill Mullan, media and communications officer, at 248-858-1048. Photos of the event are available by emailing a request to email@example.com