Oops! Sorry! You've stumbled across a page that is still under construction. Please visit our current web pages at: http://www.oakgov.com/libraries/
Michigan Legal Help
- The Michigan Legal Help website was created to help people who have to handle simple legal problems without a lawyer. There are articles you can read to learn about a specific area of the law and toolkits to help you prepare to represent yourself in court. The Protection From Abuses area covers Domestic Violence, Stalking and Personal Protection Orders (PPO).
- Domestic Violence Benchbook
- The Michigan Judicial Institute produced this lengthy resource covering different aspects of domestic violence. Among the topics covered are the issuance and enforcement of Personal Protection Orders; definitions of domestic violence crimes, including assault and stalking; an overview of criminal proceedings resulting from domestic violence; and the effect domestic violence has on decisions the courts can make regarding custody, parenting time, property division and support.
- Michigan Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence
- This organization acts as a statewide voice for the survivors of domestic and sexual violence, as well as the programs that serve victims of these crimes. Together with the Michigan Domestic Violence Prevention and Treatment Board, the MCADSV established a Resource Center containing books, videos and journals useful for training, education and counseling. The Center is open to the public, materials are available for loan, and staff offers reference services. Access this website for a service providers' referral directory.
- Women's Law Initiative
- Sponsors of this website include lawyers, teachers and activists interested in helping women subjected to domestic violence. State-by-state information varies, including an overview of state law, what constitutes domestic violence, how to prepare for a court hearing, and links to other resources such as shelters, legal aid providers, and lawyer referral services.
- The MichiganLealAid.org website article section on domestic violence include articles on a guide to MI anti-stalking laws, a guide to personal protection orders and a center for women in transition.
1200 N Telegraph, Bldg 14 East, Pontiac, MI 48341 - Phone: 248-858-0012