"Oakland County, Michigan is committed to serving its communities through empowered and progressive leadership that is entrusted to embrace innovation in every aspect of government service."
"To create a technology-enabled community by which all residents, businesses, local governments and employees can access relevant government information and value-added services at any time and from anywhere."
Goals and Objectives:
Goal 1: To continuously improve the efficiency of, and access to, government information and services by:
Designing applications that will interface with a wide variety of computing devices.
Providing customers with access to eGovernment services at times and locations of their choosing, taking into account special needs and social, economic and ethnic considerations.
Helping customers understand how to use and participate in the County's eGovernment initiative.
Using eGovernment technology and business process re-engineering to transform the delivery of information and services to produce more efficient and effective government.
Goal 2: To use the successful development of the eGovernment initiative to promote Oakland County as an information technology center in the United States by:
- Participating in regional efforts, professional conferences and other opportunities that promote the development of eGovernment services.
- Pursuing awards recognizing the achievements of Oakland County's eGovernment initiative.
- Exploring cutting-edge eGovernment applications that provide unique services to its customers.
Goal 3: To address privacy and security issues related to eGovernment implementation by:
- Securing information supplied by customers from unlawful access.
- Collecting customer information only as needed for eGovernment operations.
- Managing information in accordance with laws and rules set forth in the State of Michigan Enhanced Access and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Goal 4: To ensure sufficient revenue streams and funding that enable the development of core eGovernment competencies by:
- Using eGovernment services to reduce the cost of Oakland County government operations.
- Implementing appropriate funding models to sustain eGovernment services.
Goal 5: To establish leadership and partnerships that advance eGovernment services provided to Oakland County constituents by:
- Partnering with the County's various stakeholders to facilitate the development of new, and improvement of existing, eGovernment services.
- Exploring public-private partnerships that leverage previously developed eGovernment services and provide additional value to customers.
Goal 6: To develop and maintain a seamless and comprehensive eGovernment interface by:
- Delivering the services most desired from Oakland County in a method most convenient and reliable.
- Providing customers with a common and seamless entry point to eGovernment services.
- Collaborating with Oakland County entities to ensure that services are delivered to customers seamlessly.
- Providing current, accurate and relevant information provided through all eGovernment services.
Goal 7: To manage the cost of eGovernment implementation through effective use technology by:
- Establishing a common technical infrastructure, processes and templates will wherever possible.
- Collecting common information only once, in order to share among Oakland County entities where possible.
- Evaluating the total cost of ownership when developing eGovernment services.
Goal 8: To institutionalize the use of eGovernment information and services through the adoption of appropriate organizational models by:
- Establishing a central authority to guide the eGovernment initiative.
- Transforming its workforce through a comprehensive training and educational outreach program.
- Educating County leadership, executive management and government employees in the new eGovernment paradigm to accelerate the acceptance of service transformation.
- Coordinating the delivery of eGovernment services across all levels of government.
The Guiding Principles for Oakland County's eGovernment initiative are:
- Oakland County will enable eGovernment accessibility so that all citizens can enjoy the benefits of these additional services.
- Oakland County will take a "citizen focus", thus improving services to citizens, businesses, employees, and governments.
- Oakland County will ensure the privacy and security of eGovernment information and transactions while preserving the integrity of participatory local government.
- Oakland County will develop eGovernment services based on customer requirements and sound business benefits.
- Oakland County will encourage and forge strategic partnerships across jurisdictional boundaries.
Critical Success Factors:
- County Executive, Board of Commissioners, and other elected officials support and commitment.
- Consensus among participants at all levels.
- A focus on processes through which eGovernment services will be provided.
- Common, countywide information components required for access to eGovernment information and services.
- Data standards and models that support ownership, security, access, and unification among participants.
- Standard web-based application development methodologies.
- Openness to new technology and improved workflow.
- Effective and applicable research and development.
- Continuous education and training of all eGovernment participants.
- The continued promotion and marketing of a central and coordinated access portal to government information and services.
- Participating agencies will be treated as equal and important partners.
- A coordinated governing body that oversees and coordinates eGovernment information and service development.
- A competitive eGovernment funding model that promotes appropriate automation of government information and services.
- A dedicated set of IT and County agency resources assigned to implementation of eGovernment information and services.
- Current services provided to customers must be maintained during the development of eGovernment services.