You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions About Substance Abuse Services

How do I find out what services are available to me if I don't have health insurance?

If you have low income:

Treatment funding on a sliding fee scale is available through the Oakland County Health Division Office of Substance Abuse. Proof of income, residency and current or last employment is required. Call the Oakland County P.A.C.E. office at 248-858-5200 for information on programs, screening and assessment cost and referrals.

If you have Medicaid, Regular or Physician Sponsor Plan:

You must go to a Medicaid approved program. Call the Oakland County Health Division P.A.C.E. office at 248-858-5200 for approved programs near you. If you are seeking services more intensive than outpatient, an assessment interview is required. The P.A.C.E. unit can assist you in this process.

If you have Medicaid, HMO/Clinic Plan:

Call the phone number on your card for authorization and program location.

I have traditional health insurance. How do I obtain substance abuse services?

If you have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at work, call your EAP representative. That person will help you find the services you need. If you don't have an EAP, call your insurance carrier for information on available programs. You might also check the Yellow Pages under Alcohol and Drug Treatment. Often programs will list the major insurance(s) they accept. If you are able to pay privately, call the Oakland County Health Division Office of Substance Abuse at 248-858-0001. They maintain a list of all licensed treatment providers in the County.

What types of service are available?

  • Residential: 24 hours/day, generally for 14 to 21 days
  • I.O.P. (Intensive Outpatient): Three hours or more per day/multiple days per week
  • Outpatient: Individual and Group therapy
  • Self Help Groups: Available in all communities at NO charge
  • A.A. (Alcoholics Anonymous):
    248-332-3521 (Pontiac)
    248-541-6565 (Ferndale)
  • N.A. (Narcotics Anonymous):
  • Al-Anon, Alateen (for family or friends of addicted persons):

Where can I get a driver's license appeal evaluation?

Call 248-858-0001 for names of substance abuse programs in your area that provide driver's license appeal evaluations.

Where can I get information about drugs and alcohol?

Other information is available from the Health Division's Office of Substance Abuse at 248-858-0001.