You are here:

Frequently Asked Question About CSHCS

What is CSHCS?

CSHCS, Children's Special Health Care Services, is a program that offers medical care and treatment assistance for children with chronic, severe, disabling health conditions; and provides service coordination to meet the child and family needs. Families of all income levels are eligible to enroll in the CSHCS program.

How does my child qualify for the CSHCS program?

A medically eligible diagnosis must be established. Please call 248-858-0056 for information.

How can this program help pay for my child to see a specialist?

Referrals may be written to a specialist. CSHCS will cover the cost of the evaluation; other insurance is always billed first. Call 248-858-0056, or talk to your Oakland County Health Division nurse (if you

Are there resources to help pay for specialized equipment (wheelchairs, etc.)?

Yes, if the child is medically eligible for the program.

Is money available to pay for unusual equipment needs (van lifts, ramps, etc) for my child?

Yes, the State of Michigan has established a Special Needs Fund to help pay for such items, if child is eligible.

Are there resources to help pay for medications for my child (insulin, growth hormone, etc.)?

Yes, if your child is enrolled in the CSHCS program, certain medications ordered by the specialist are covered when they relate to your child's medical condition.

Are there resources to help pay for special supplies (diapers, catheters, pads, etc) for my child?

The CSHCS program may be able to help if the child has a medically eligible diagnosis.

Is there a resource for home care nursing?

For more information about resources in Oakland County call:
  • Macomb-Oakland Regional Center (MORC) in Auburn Hills at 866-593-7412
  • CSHCS at 248-858-0056
  • Department of Human Services (DHS)  formerly Family Independence Agency (FIA)
    • Madison Heights at 248-583-8700
    • Walled Lake at 248-669-7600
    • Saginaw-Pontiac at 248-975-5200

Are there respite resources available for my child?

In Oakland County, call Macomb-Oakland Regional Center (MORC) in Auburn Hills at 866-593-7412 or CSHCS at 248-858-0056 for information.

Can CSHCS help pay for lodging for me while my child is in the hospital?

Yes, some families do receive this benefit, please call 248-858-0056 for details.

If I need to take my child out of state for medical care is help available?

Possibly. CSHCS doctors must make that decision and child must be enrolled in CSHCS. Prior approval is required.

My insurance doesn't cover hearing aids. What can I do?

Hearing aids may be covered, if the medical condition is approved.

I cannot afford diabetic supplies for my child. What can I do?

CSHCS will need a medical report from the child's specialist to establish eligibility.

Is there help to pay medical bills for a child who has recently died?

Yes, we may be able to help. Call our office at 248-858-0056 if you need more information.