You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions About Oakland County Older Adult Services

What services do you offer for senior citizens?

Call the Health Department and speak with the Nurse On Call 1-800-848-5533 about services for older adults in your community.

What resources are available for my elderly parents?

Much depends on income, many resources are available for a fee:
  • Personal care
  • Transportation
  • Chore Services (housecleaning, meal preparation, shopping, etc.)
FOCUS HOPE Senior Food Program: provides free monthly food package to seniors that qualify financially.

Some resources are provided by your local senior centers:
  • Delivered meals
  • Transportation

Area Agency on Aging 1-B provides information and assistance from a resource specialist call 1-800-852-7795.

Some resources are provided through Department of Human Services  (DHS) including adult home help.

How can I get delivered meals?

Call your local senior center.

Where can I find help for my older relative/friend?

If skilled nursing care or therapies are needed, it must be ordered by your health care provider. If you need personal care, call an agency listed in the yellow pages under Nursing. Some chore services may be available through the local senior center, or Area Agency on Aging 1-B 1-800-852-7795.

I'm worried about the possible exploitation of my friend/neighbor by their family. What should I do to help?

Call Adult Protective Services of the Department of Human Services at 1-855-444-3911.  You can expect that they will respect your desire for confidentiality.

Where can I get a Flu shot?

Annual Flu shot clinics begin in the fall each year at Health Department locations and outreach clinics throughout Oakland County. Call the flu hotline at 1-800-434-3358 for times and dates of clinics in your area.

Who do I call with nursing home complaints?

Complaints can be filed by calling the Michigan Department of Consumer and Industry Services Complaint Hotline at 1-800-882-6006.

Where can I get help for payment of medications?

There are discount cards available form some drug companies or county health departments.  Other savings may be available through organizations such as American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Veteran's Administration, Medicare D Prescription Program, or through Canadian prescription programs. 
For more information call the Nurse On Call at 1-800-848-5533.