You are here:
Usually, the parties and their attorneys reach an agreement on how to divide property without a hearing before the judge. Every case is different.

Often parties come in years later and ask if they were "cheated." No one can reconstruct a situation, so do not ask for the opinion of a Friend of the Court referee. Despite your friend and neighbor's claims that their divorce is just like yours, no two are alike.

In many cases, neither party is completely satisfied and both must compromise. Once it is part of the Judgment of Divorce, the property settlement is final and generally not subject to modification. The Friend of the Court is not involved in enforcing property settlement issues.

Friend of the Court Handbook