COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE FRIEND OF THE COURT
FOC Fax Number: 248-858-0461
FOC "Interactive Voice Response" (IVR) System:
The IVR is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and provides information regarding payments, enforcement, payment coupons, direct deposit, scheduled hearings, office hours and location. The IVR provides step-by-step instructions or allows experienced users to move quickly through the system.
To access case specific information, it is necessary to enter your social security number. The first time you access the system you will be asked to establish a PIN number. You will need to use that PIN number each time you request payment information.
Payments are received and disbursed by the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU). You may be connected with a MiSDU operator by selecting option number 4 (within the FOC IVR) after you have selected your choice of language (English or Spanish). Please contact the MiSDU for payment related questions.
TELEPHONING THE FOC OFFICE
Please note: Telephone messages are not always included in the Friend of the Court record. Submitting information in writing ensures your correspondance will be made a part of your case record.
**Direct Phone Lines**
The direct telephone numbers of the FOC staff assigned to your case are available online. You may also pick up a listing at the office or request one by mail. E-mail is not permitted due to confidentiality rules.
FOC Switchboard: 1-248-858-0424
An automated attendant will answer your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. An operator is available to assist you between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Given the volume of telephone calls and complexity of some issues, operators will answer basic questions. For detailed case related questions, operators will forward your call to the appropriate staff member.
DO'S AND DON'TS
- Report all changes of your address, employment, health care coverage, and income to the FOC in writing within 21 days.
- Refer to your court docket number (yr. + 6 digits) when telephoning and on all correspondence as well as payments.
- Request a contact list for the court team assigned to your case, which includes the names, duties, and direct telephone numbers of the FOC staff assigned to your case.
- Send payments with coupons to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit - the FOC only accepts cash.
- Review your court order, the FOC website or FOC Handbook before contacting the FOC with questions.
- Respond immediately to all FOC communications.
- E-mail the FOC. Confidentiality rules prohibit a response.
- Telephone, write, or e-mail the referee or judge. Judges and referees communicate with parties only during hearings.
- Make repeated telephone calls. FOC rules require that calls be returned within two business days.
- Include correspondence with payments. All correspondence and new information must be sent to the Oakland County FOC and not to the Michigan State Disbursement Unit.
What you should know:
- State law requires that all payments must be distributed electronically. Payees should sign up for direct deposit if they do not wish to be sent a child support debit card.
- Understand that information you provide by telephone is not documented in your case file.
- FOC staff may take up to two business days to return telephone calls.
- FOC records are confidential. However, Michigan Court Rules give the other party access to your correspondence with our office.
- Walk-ins are seen only on a limited basis. You should not expect to be seen at the FOC office without an appointment.
- You may be asked to sign a Request for IV-D services which will allow the FOC to provide services described in the overview of FOC services.
- You may opt out of FOC services if you file a motion and the court approves your request. The court cannot approve your request if one party on your case receives public assistance, if arrears have exited on the case or if a parenting time violation has occurred in the past twelve months, or if there is evidence of domestic violence or unequal bargaining positions on your case or if the request is not considered to be in the best interests of your child(ren).
Oakland County Friend of the Court
230 Elizabeth Lake Road
Pontiac, Michigan, USA, 48341
PO Box 436012
Pontiac, Michigan, USA, 48343-6012
Friend of the Court Automated Telephone System: 248-858-1565
Toll Free: 800-357-4507