Steps to begining a General Civil Suit:
  • Be sure that you have brought your claim against the proper party & know the parties correct address
  • Be sure that you are starting your case in the correct District Court (venue)
  • Prepare a carbon pack "summons and complaint" - 2 part form (MC01 3/08 and MC01a 3/85) or 4 copies of each form - forms can be obtained at any District Court or from our General Civil Forms Section.
  • Pay a filing fee (the filing fee can be paid by check, money order, cash, visa or mastercard) (checks should be made payable to the 52/4 District Court)
  • Decide how you would like the defendant served (sheriff, deputy sheriff, bailiff, appointed court officer, attorney for a party, legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party or by certified mail)