If you feel an individual or a business owes you money, you can bring a lawsuit against that person or business in the Small Claims division of the District Court.

You can file a lawsuit in small claims court for up to $5,500.  If your claim is more than $5,500 and you still elect to file in small claims court, you waive your right to collect more than that amount.

If you file a lawsuit to recover for damage to your motor vehicle arising out of an automobile accident if the other driver is at fault, you are limited to that amount not otherwise covered by your insurance up to $1,000 if the defendant had insurance at the time of the accident.

When you file in small claims court, you give up or waive the following rights:
  • The right to be represented by an attorney
  • The right to have a jury trial
  • The right to appeal the final decision of the court (unless the case is heard by an attorney/magistrate)