Steps to beginning a General Civil Suit:

  • Be sure that you have brought your claim against the proper party & know the party's correct address.
  • Be sure that you are starting your case in the correct District Court (venue).
  • Prepare a carbon pack "summons and complaint" - 2 part form [MC01 3/08  and MC01a 3/85] or 4 copies of each form - forms can be obtained at any District Court or from our General Civil Forms Section.
  • Pay a filing fee (the filing fee can be paid by check, money order, cash, Visa or MasterCard). Checks should be made payable to 52/3 District Court.
  • Decide how you would like the defendant served (sheriff, deputy sheriff, bailiff, appointed court officer, attorney for a party, legally competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party or by certified mail).