For a military veteran residing in Oakland County, it is recommended that you record your military discharge (DD214) for safekeeping with the Oakland County Clerk's office. This is an important document and is usually needed for veterans' benefits.
Bring in your original discharge (which will be immediately returned to you) and a copy will be kept in our office should you, your spouse or an immediate family member need it. (To obtain a copy see below.) Military discharges are confidential and are not allowed to be viewed by the public.
If you reside in Oakland County and have misplaced your discharge, or need assistance with any veterans' benefits program, please contact the Oakland County Veterans' Services.
Veterans Identification Cards
Oakland County Veterans will be able to obtain a Veterans ID Card through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must appear in person to be photographed and bring the items below:
- Original military discharge papers - MUST show Honorable Discharge or equivalent status - (unless currently on file with our office)
- Valid driver license or state ID with correct Oakland County address
- $10.00 fee (cash, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, Money Order)
Veterans may use this ID card to obtain discounts at many merchants in the area. Merchants participate on a voluntary basis and not all are publicized. It is recommended to always ask if a discount is offered. Visit The Military Wallet for a list of some advertised participating merchants.
To obtain a certified copy of your Military Discharge/DD214 that has been previously recorded with the Oakland County Clerk's office:
- You must provide your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license) and valid driver's license or state ID.
- The first certified copy is FREE and $1.00 for each additional copy.
You must print, complete, and mail the request form
. Please do not forget to sign the form.
You must mail a copy of your valid driver license or state ID. An immediate family member or spouse may request a copy of a military discharge only with a certified copy of a death certificate and proof of relationship (birth certificate, marriage license) and valid driver license or state ID.
The first certified copy is FREE and $1.00 for each additional copy. A money order is the only acceptable payment by mail.
Place your completed request form, copy of valid driver license or state ID, and money order (if necessary) in an envelope addressed to:
Oakland County Clerk's Office
1200 N. Telegraph Rd. Dept. #413
Pontiac, MI 48341
Attn: Vital Records