Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications are available from the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You may apply online or in person. Complete laws and application information are also available through the Michigan State Police
(or your most recent license expired before July 1, 2004) must complete a Pistol Safety Training course:
- Effective October 1, 2004, the Pistol Safety Training certificate must state "This course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372" and "the individual has successfully completed the course".
- The Pistol Safety Training certificate must also contain the printed name and signature of the course instructor.
Renewal applicants must certify (in section II of the application) that he/she has completed at least three hours of course review and at least one hour of firing range time within the last six months.
All Concealed Pistol Licenses will expire on the date of birth of the applicant. They are issued for a period of no more than 5 years and no less than 4 years, dependent on the applicants issue date and date of birth. Please contact us if you have any questions.
CPL applicants may not be required to meet with the Concealed Weapons Board unless requested by the board. The Concealed Weapons Board meets every Tuesday. All applicants, upon approval, will receive their CPL cards in the mail.
Apply online (above) or submit your completed Concealed Pistol License application in person along with:
- Passport-quality photograph (which may be obtained at time of application for a $10.00 fee)
- Pistol Safety Training certificate (if applicable)
- $105.00 (new or renewal permits are the same fee) payable in cash, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, money order or personal check
Once you have submitted and paid for the application, new applicants will proceed to the Oakland County Sheriff Main Jail - Records Bureau for fingerprinting. Fingerprinting is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.