Certified copies of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates are available for these events that occurred in Oakland County. All copies issued by this office are certified copies with a raised seal and serve as an 'original' document. Birth Records prior to 1935 or Marriage/Death Records prior to 1942 are available in person or by mail only.
The following information is required:
Birth Certificate: Birth certificates are confidential records and are only available to the person or parent of the person named on that record. You must show, or provide a copy of, a valid driver's license, state-issued ID or passport. If you are a legal guardian, legal representative or an heir of the person, additional documentation is required.
Marriage Certificate: Marriage licenses must have been applied for in Oakland County to request a copy. You must provide the date of the marriage, the groom's full name, and the bride's full name before the marriage.
Death Certificate: You must provide the full name of the deceased and the date of death.
HOW TO ORDER
ONLINE - PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING!
IMPORTANT for BIRTH REQUESTS only: To protect you from identity theft, we require a copy of valid photo identification, i.e. driver's license, state ID or passport to be sent to our office. You may scan a copy of your valid identification and e-mail it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to our office at 248-858-0416. Your order will not be processed until we receive proof of identity, within two days. If you do not possess valid photo identification you may order birth records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH).
ID REQUIRED FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE ORDERS! Read paragraph above.
Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates requests received in-person are provided the same day. To request a birth certificate in person at the Vital Records Office you must show your current valid driver's license, state ID or passport.
For all requests:
- include completed form (see below for each)
- include payment (see "Fees" section above for more information)
- include a stamped, self-addressed envelope
- requests submitted by mail are processed within three (3) business days, and you should receive your copy(s) in seven (7) to ten (10) business days
- When using your credit card by mail, you must include the full name on the card, the account number and the expiration date. Include a photocopy (front and back) of your credit card and valid Driver's License or State ID.
- Birth Certificate Request Form
- you must photocopy the front and back of your current valid driver's license, state ID or passport as identification and send with your request.
- Death/Marriage Certificate Request Form
- for Death: provide the full name of deceased and date of death
- for Marriage: provide the name of the groom and the bride (before marriage) and the date of the marriage